This week’s Resource of the Week is RefWorks.
RefWorks is a web-based tool that is free to use for undergraduates and taught postgraduates. It will help you to capture, save and organise references, create bibliographies in a range of difference styles that can be used in a range of Word processing tools. You can access it on- and off-campus, from any PC which has internet access.
How do I access it?
- Go to the Citing and Referencing Tab on your Subject Guide OR the Citing and Referencing Guide.
- Click on the RefWorks Link.
- Create your account:
When you first use RefWorks you will need to register. From off campus you may be required to enter a Group Code which is RWRoyalH. Then fill in your registration details as follows:
- Your name
- Your email address
- Choose your login name and password (we recommend using your RHUL IT username e.g. abcd123)
- Select your user type (e.g. undergraduate)
- Select your focus area (e.g. humanities)
- Select ‘register’ to finish
- You can import information on resources from databases like Library Search, JSTOR, Science Direct and many others. Most databases will have an export to RefWorks option, for websites you can use the Ref-GrabIt tool.
- RefWorks creates a database of your references and you can search it, and organise it into Folders.
- Use RefWorks to generate an automatic bibliography
- You can also insert citations and reference directly into your assignment using the Write and Cite tool for Word
- Training sessions run throughout the year. The next session is on Friday 24th February at 13:10-13:50, Computer Centre, PC Lab 5
- Email email@example.com, or contact your Information Consultant
- Visit the RefWorks You Tube Channel for lots of video tutorials