RefWorks is a web-based tool that is free to use for undergraduates and taught postgraduates. It will help you to capture, save and organise references, create bibliographies in a range of difference styles that can be used in a range of Word processing tools. You can access it on- and off-campus, from any PC which has internet access.
How do I access it?
- Go to the Citing and Referencing Tab on your Subject Guide OR the Citing and Referencing Guide.
- Click on the RefWorks Link.
- Create your account:
When you first use RefWorks you will need to register. From off campus, you also need our Group Code which is RWRoyalH. Then fill in your registration details as follows:
- Your name
- Your email address
- Choose your login name and password (we recommend using your RHUL IT username e.g. abcd123)
- Select your user type (e.g. undergraduate)
- Select your focus area (e.g. humanities)
- Select ‘register’ to finish
- You can import information on books, journal articles, webpages from databases like LibrarySearch, or using the Ref-GrabIt tool.
- RefWorks creates a database of your references and you can search it, and organise it into folders
- Use RefWorks to generate an automatic bibliography
- Insert footnotes or references into your dissertation, or assignment.
What if I have questions?
- Training sessions run throughout the year
- Download the booklet and teach yourself
- Email email@example.com, or use Ask a Librarian
- Visit the RefWorks YouTube channel for lots of video tutorials.