Academia.edu is a platform for academics to share research papers. The company’s mission is to accelerate the world’s research.
Like LinkedIn, Academia.edu focuses on professional connections. Academia.edu is essentially a LinkedIn focused on the academic world, so it provides improved features for things like listing publications. LinkedIn and Academia.edu profiles tend to feature high in Google searches, so a well-constructed profile can be a great way to develop your online brand.
You can search for people, research interests and universities to build up connections.
You can view members for Royal Holloway here.
It is about more than networking, you can search for papers and promote your own research there too. You can easily link to your papers in Royal Holloway Research Online.
There are other sites where you can post your research profile and link to papers, which we will look at in future blog posts. It is useful to post on several of them to publicise to the biggest audience of people.
- Facebook – http://www.facebook.com/(NB Academia.edu offers the option of updating Facebook with papers. Potentially a handy feature if you’re going to maintain more than one profile.)
- LinkedIn – http://www.linkedin.com/
- Mendeley – http://www.mendeley.com/
- IAMScientist – http://www.iamscientist.com/
- ResearchGate – http://www.researchgate.net/
- Google Scholar – http://scholar.google.co.uk/